Scare at school
Back in April after the new school year started I was getting ready to team teach a class of third graders right after lunch. My Japanese Teacher of English (JTE) and I walked to the classroom (on the second floor) to find all the students in a panic and out on the balcony. We rushed over and looked down to see two male students lying on the ground. One had a cut on his face and both were not moving. Lying near the boys was a piece of the cement balcony. At the end of the balcony there was a piece missing and that was what lay down below. My JTE rushed outside and tried to see if the students were conscious. Some of the girls in the class were on their cell phones calling the police and ambulance.
At this point I wasn't sure what to do, so I stayed with the other students. The teacher next door soon discovered what was happening and ordered all the students back in the classroom. More teachers were outside with the two students and I saw one teacher carrying a stretcher. Another teacher came and taped off the balcony and soon signs appeared where the accident had happened.
The atmosphere and scene of the classroom is one I don't like remembering...girls huddled together crying, boys sitting and staring into space, too stunned to say anything and then just an overall sense of shock at what had just happened. I tried my best to comfort the students, but don't know how effective I was. To add to the confusion, this was a low ability level class, so it was difficult for me to express myself and also find out information from the students.
Soon after all this it was clear there wouldn't be an English lesson that day. For the rest of the period I sat with the students while administration, teachers and police came in and out of the classroom. There was a teacher's meeting next period where I found out more information. The two students had been talking on the balcony right after lunch, between the passing period, when a piece of the balcony gave way, taking both students down with it. More investigation cited a decayed metal rod inside the cement piece as being the cause. One student was unconscious on the way to the hospital and both were put in ICU. One student had a broken ankle and the other had a minor head injury, but both were going to make a full recovery.
As I walked home from school I heard and saw two helicopters hovering over the school. Later that night, the news on tv reported about the accident at my school. The next day at school I asked one of the English teachers about how this could have happened since I assumed their were building codes and checks that had to be updated regularly. She told me that the school hadn't been checked in awhile and that was a scary thought. Since the accident students have not been allowed out on the veranda and a construction crew is coming to fix the balcony. The two students are back in school, one in a wheelchair and the other on crutches, but thankful they are alive!
Disney Sea
The second weekend in April I went to Disney Sea in Tokyo with two girls in my skype bible study and two of their friends. It was my first time at Sea and I loved it! I liked it a lot better than Land. It reminded me of Universal Studios, but still with a Disney feel to it. When I first discovered there was Disney Land and Sea in Japan I asked people what the difference was. Disney Sea is geared more towards adults with bigger thrill rides, shows and you can drink alcohol. I also discovered that Disney Land is more of a date spot than Sea. My favorite ride was Tower of Terror where you drop straight down, with Indiana Jones coming in at a close second. My friend and I stayed for the firework show, but were sadly disappointed when they canceled it "due to bad weather". The ironic part about it was that it was a beautiful clear night, so we think they were trying to save money because it was a sad excuse! But, couldn't have asked for a better day with sun shining and spending time at Disney Sea with two sisters in Christ that I've grown very close to this year.
Sakura, Hanami Picnics, Festivals
In one of my past posts I wrote briefly about sakura/cherry blossoms marking the season of spring in Japan. I was able to experience the cherry blossoms to their fullest this spring and because of the sakura, spring is my favorite season in Japan by far! In early April I went to a Sakura Matsuri Festival in Hitachi with my friend. At the time it was still cold out, so the cherry blossoms weren't in full bloom yet. Nonetheless, we were able to see great dance performances, eat some delicious festival food and enjoy a true festival atmosphere.




I went back to Hitachi the following week with some Japanese friends and got to see the sakura in full bloom!


After church the following weekend I went to Senba Lake with a group of people from Mito Church. We joined hundreds of other Japanese who were spread out under the sakura trees enjoying their picnics, cherry blossoms and warm weather. It was quite a scene to take in: tarps spread out with people sitting around long tables, food stalls, karaoke and sakura petals falling like snow. I went with a mixed group of AETs (Assistant English Teachers) and Japanese young adults from church. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and another great weekend!




Sharing Japanese and American Culture
The last weekend in April I invited two Japanese friends and two ALTs over to my apartment for Easter Egg dying and dinner. One Japanese friend was from church and the other is a teacher I teach with at school. My Japanese friends had never dyed Easter Eggs before and really enjoyed the experience. I also had a surprise guest visit before dinner..my predecessor Tom! He came to pick up his surfboard that I had been storing for him out on my balcony since last summer. He now lives in Tokyo and had told me he would be back for it one day. I was wondering if he was every coming back for it, but sure enough he came. It was nice to catch up with him and see him again.
For dinner my friend Yayoi taught me how to make a Japanese dish called chikuzeni. The main ingredients are chicken, gobo, carrots, shitake mushrooms and a blend of wet ingredients for the sauce. Miso soup and rice accompanied the main dish and dinner was delicious! It was nice having people over, especially since it doesn't happen very often.
Golden Week to be cont.

Here's a picture of some of my students that I ran into outside of school! They go all out when they don't have to wear their school uniform!
Golden Week Holiday
At the beginning of May there are three national holidays in a row right after the weekend, so many people in Japan refer to this as Golden Week. Since most people in Japan do not have to work during this time, many travel in and around Japan. I kept hearing about how popular sightseeing spots and transportation are extrememly crowded during this week and decided to stay put for a change. Well, this was my initial plan..but as often happens things come up and plans change.
Highlights of Golden Week:
* Spent time with Saeki host family and daughter Ayako and baby Yui Chan.
Yui Chan with Auntie Mariko
* Saeki Family took me to a new kaiten sushi restaurant where I tried toro (fatty tuna belly) and corn with mayonnaise sushi for the first time. (Toro was good, but the corn sushi was strange..Japanese really loves to put corn on everything!)
* Spent the day with June Wachi in Ueno/Tokyo. We've been trying to get together for many months and things finally worked out! June use to go to CCP and now lives in Japan. She has been such a blessing to me while living here and is like a second mom to me. June took me to Ochanamizu Christian bookstore and lunch afterwards. Spent the rest of the afternoon walking around Ueno Park. Ueno is known for its museums and zoo, definitely will be going back! Beautiful weather and great conversation!
* Day trip to Aizu in Fukashima Prefecture with the Kurosawas. Spent the day with two of my favorite teachers who have become very good friends. The scenery from the car was stunning, surrounded by mountains on either side. Passed a snow covered Mt. Bandai and visited the famous Tsurugajo Castle.
Since sakura moves south to north I was able to see cherry blossoms again! At the castle took a picture with a samarai and got to wear a kimono.
Ate wapameishi for lunch in an old style Japanese house turned into a restaurant. Wapameishi is rice topped with salmon, mushrooms, egg and root vege in a round bamboo box. Aizu was a really cute town with antique, lacquer and coffee shops. Painted my own uroshi bowl and visited a pottery shop. Ate at a very popular ton katsu restaurant on the way home that had the best ton katsu ever!
* Kimono lesson and sushi party at my Japanese friend's house. My friend Mami San enjoys wearing kimonos and wanted to teach me how to wear one. Not only did she teach me the correct way to put one on, but she also taught me about the significance of different kinds of kimonos and patterns- summer yukatas, formal for weddings, semi formal, one pattern, multiple patterns and different arm lengths for single and married women. She also told me that when wearing a kimono you wear your hair up to expose the back of your neck. The hour long process began after I chose my kimono, obi and obi cord. I never realized there were so many layers, ties and techniques to wearing a kimono! I tried my best to mimic Mami San, but I needed her help quite often. She was very considerate and made sure the kimono wasn't too tight so I could breath and sit comfortably.
The rest of our friends from the English class I teach joined us for dinner. I was proud that I was able to wear the kimono all through dinner and sit seiza style for most of it. I felt very Japanese wearing a kimono and eating sushi, a true Japanese experience!
I thank God for putting the Saeki Family, June, Kurosawa's, Mami San and my English class friends in my life. Truly blessed by all of them!
Kristin, thank you for sharing all your different experiences in detail. I enjoy hearing about your episodes, and looking at your pictures. God is truly with each and every one of us, isn't He? Very thankful. (^^)
ReplyDeleteI think I typed something once already, and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'll type again. Thank you for sharing your life, Kristin. I enjoy the way you write and your pictures, too. Such a blessing! (^^) Very thankful!
ReplyDelete