Teaching
This semester I've been able to implement some of the teaching strategies and activities I've used while I taught in Illinois. The senior classes have been writing simple journal in English, while trying to add more detail to their writing. One of my favorite lessons was teaching them new adjectives using real objects like stuffed animals, Christmas stocking, sticky mochi rice, etc. Students had to use their sense of sight and touch to describe each object. All the classes I used this lesson with loved it!
Shortly after I arrived in Japan I discovered the English room was filled with easy readers and leveled English texts. A whole cabinet along with several boxes were filled with books I use to read in elementary school like Curious George, Little Bear, oxford series, I Can Read books etc. I asked one of the English teachers if any of them were using these in their classes and she said no because they didn't know how to. They were left over from a Super English program at Takahagi that had finished two years prior. During my first year I kept trying to think of ways to incorporate these books into my lessons, but didn't give it serious thought until entering my second year on JET.
Currently, in the reading classes students are reading easy leveled texts in English, while trying to use reading strategies to improve comprehension skills. I'm learning teaching reading strategies to Japanese students is not as easy as when I taught it to American students. But, with repetition and opportunities to use the strategies they are slowly catching on. The students are enjoying reading the leveled texts because they are interesting and they can read the lower leveled ones successfully.
In one reading class the Japanese teacher and I decided to be ambitious and start guided reading groups. For the past several weeks we've been meeting with small groups of 4-5 students to work on a reading strategy. We are reading easy books about Stuart Little and working on the using context clues to figure out words the students do not know. It will take some time for the students to get use to using strategies. They are so accustomed to memorization, formulas and repetition, that using a strategy is quite foreign to them I think.
I'm also solo teaching a senior elective class once a week. There are 16 students and the Japanese teacher and I decided to split the class into two groups of 8 students. He teaches one group and I teach the other. The group I teach are more motivated and eager to learn and speak English. I decided to watch, read, and act out an easier version of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. First, we watched the dvd in English and now we are reading through Act 1. I teach completely in English and the students have been rising to the challenge and are doing extremely well. It's amazing to see them support each other by helping to translate meanings or clarify ideas. Overall, they are enjoying the class aside from getting distracted every now and then. After reading through the play I hope to watch the dvd again and see how much their comprehension of the storyline improved.
~Bunkasai~ Culture Festival
Theme: Teenage Fire
Takahagi Revolution
Last Friday and Saturday my base school had its culture festival. The cultural festival happens every three years so it's a big deal when its that time again. Students only experience the culture festival once during their high school career, so they go all out. As junior high school students they have culture festivals, but at a more simplistic level.
It was really interesting and exciting to see it from start to finish. Each class started preparing weeks in advance; thinking of themes, t-shirt designs, menus and activities. Once the classrooms themes were decided students worked on transforming their classrooms using various materials including cardboard, tinsel, posters, curtains, props, tissue paper, etc. During the week leading up to the festival most of the students and teachers stayed late after school to continue preparing. 1-1 class' theme was Highland Park and their teacher built a miniture model of a roller coaster in the classroom. A few classes decided on a Halloween theme. 3-1 created a very accurate set from Toy Story, complete with all the major characters. Another class transformed their room into an Alice in Wonderland haunted house. Some of the food students planned on cooking and selling included yaki udon, curry and rice, hot dogs, fried chicken and french fries, baked potatoes, tapioca drinks, parfaits, pancakes in the shape of Hello Kitty.
On the first day of the festival the whole school gathered in the gym. The brass band played some upbeat songs to kick off the start of the festival. After the music performance each class gave a short, three minute commercial about their theme and food product. Some commercials and skits were more creative than others. I was impressed by the class that performed Michael Jackson's thriller, with pretty accurate dance moves! Some of the teachers gave a surprise performance. A popular boy band in Japan is Arashi, so five teachers wore masks of the singers and danced around on stage. It was really entertaining, especially because most of them were the teachers that I teach with! The rest of the day was spent setting up and preparing for Saturday when the school would be on display for parents, friends and the community.
On Saturday teachers and students got an early start making final preparations. That morning I was recruited to help in the cooking room. The room was filled with students and teachers cooking food to sell. I sorted udon noodles, chopped onions for the class making curry and helped another class with their fried chicken and french fries. The three students and teacher in charge of frying the chicken and fries were pretty stressed and frantic about not being able to finish by the time school opened for the public. I ended up smelling like fried chicken for the rest of the day, but the group was able to keep up with the demand for chicken. For the rest of the day I walked around school taking pictures and visiting each class. Each class wanted me to buy their food, but I ended up buying okonomiyaki from 2-2, parfait from 1-1 and a tapioca drink from 1-2. I went through the haunted house and was impressed with the end result. No one was allowed to see it until 12:30 on Saturday and their was a continuous line until the end of the festival.
I made a small contribution to the festival and displayed some of my pictures. The photography club, art teacher and a few other teachers had their pictures displayed in the PTA room on the first floor. My pictures included places I visited during my first year in Japan- Mt. Fuji, Fukushima, Nikko, Hokkaido, Thailand and Australia.
It was beautiful weather for the festival and everyone had a great time! Even though some of the students are not serious about studying, the effort they put into this festival was 100%. An experience I will never forget!
International Trip to Chicago
Plans are going smoothly for the trip in December. The Kurosawa Sensei and I are continuing to meet with the group of students each week at lunch on Tuesdays. We recently bought tickets to see the White Christmas Musical and are looking forward to cooking day in November. The students are very eager to share Japanese culture with their host families by cooking them a meal once in Chicago. It's hard to believe that it's almost November and we will leave in less than 2 months!
Kristin, You look like one of the students in your photo, hee hee! So neat, like one of the gang. Neat to hear about the new challenges you are facing in your second year of teaching. Like, you're not just in a rut...That's great! I'm proud of you! (^^)b
ReplyDelete