Sorry it's been awhile since my last post. I've been keeping busy experiencing all that Japan has to offer and there has been so much!
The Tokyo marathon was the last weekend of February and my good friend from ISU that is a 3rd year Jet ran it for her second time! I spent the weekend in Tokyo to support her, despite rainy and cold weather on race day. I enjoyed going to the Expo and seeing all the other runners eagerly getting their pictures taken and buying official marathon sportswear. I bought myself a Tokyo marathon running shirt, hoping it will inspire me when I run!
The race was Sunday morning and I met up with two of Sammi's other friends that came to support her. We watched the start of the race in Shinjuku and went off to do some shopping while we waited to catch her in the neighborhood of Ginza. We were able to track her progress on our cell phones, which was so amazing! Using her bib number and the link we were able to see her splits for each 10km and her overall time. We headed over to Ginza after she passed the 30km mark and had told her the day before that's where we would be. As we waited to see her it was fun looking at all the costumed runners. I'm not use to people wearing costumes for huge races like this, but it seems to be quite popular in Japan. We saw Sammi right as she passed us, but our eyes didn't meet! Even though we didn't see each other, it was great seeing her in action. We met her at the finish line near Odaiba, an artificial island near the bay. The train ride there was very scenic with nice views of the rainbow bridge and Tokyo Tower. She did an awesome job and finished just under 5 hours. Maybe next year I will be writing about my Tokyo marathon experience, we'll see...
There were many new things to experience at the beginning of March. March 1st was the day for high school graduations, so I was at Takahagi's ceremony. The third year students rehearsed all day Friday, especially standing, sitting and bowing in unison. The students wore their school uniforms and the teachers and principal wore suits. The ceremony was in held in the gym in the morning and the rest of the students, parents and PTA attended. The brass band played from the balcony as the third year students entered, led by their homeroom teachers. The vice principal officially opened the ceremony by saying a few words. There were speeches given by the principal, a PTA member, first year student and third year student. Everyone sang the national anthem and the school song. I was able to join in the school song because it was in hiragana!
Kurosawa Sensei wearing a hakama- special kimono
Immediately following the ceremony the homeroom teachers passed out the individual certificates to students in their last homeroom class. All the parents gathered in the different classes to watch and take pictures. In contrast to the formalities of the main graduation ceremony this special homeroom time was much more intimate and emotional. I could really see the close bond between the homeroom teacher and his/her students and the students were so excited to receive their certificates, take pictures and sign yearbooks. I will miss a lot of the third year students, but wish them a bright future.
March 3rd was Girls' Day in Japan or Hina Matsuri. The streets of Takahagi were decorated with bamboo and flowers and many shops displayed Hina Dolls. Many Japanese people believe that the dolls possess the power to contain bad spirits and families pray for good health and happiness for their daughters. I ate some pink, white and green hina arare (rice cracker) and visited a shop that had a Hina Doll display. The two dolls on the first tier represent the Emperor and Empress, the second tier holds three court ladies, the third holds the musicians, fourth ministers and fifth samurais.
Love your pictures and your thoughtful writing, Kristin! I've never been to the Tokyo Marathon so it was neat to see pictures. People running in costume is really something else, huh? (Looks warm though!) (^^)
ReplyDelete