This past Sunday I went to Christ Church in Mito for the first time. I went to small group at the church Wednesday night and wanted to check out their church service. Went to the sunday school class at 9:30am. There were even more new faces when I arrived. Some were new AETs and a bunch of exchange students staying short term in Japan. All of the AETs and exchange students are from Oaklahoma Christian University and found out the school has a partnership with Ibaraki Christian University. There were also two other Japanese students from Ibaraki Christian University there. We sang two praise songs and listened to a short devotional given by two visiting professors from Oaklahoma Christian University.
It was really interesting listening to their perspectives, as they both were AETs in Japan during the 90s and had close ties to the Mito Church. One professor encouraged everyone to get engaged while in Japan. He wasn't talking about marriage, although he did get engaged in Japan! It was a convicting message to really make the most of our time here in Japan by forming relationships and spreading the good news. He also encouraged us not just ask what God's plan was for our lives, but look to see where He is working and join Him.
After class before service started an African American woman came up to me and told me that she lives very close to Takahagi and offered to give me a ride to church next time! Most of the people that attend this church live in Mito and we are the minority coming from so far. It's been neat to see how God works even through little things like this. This has been the third church I've visited and there's been one person at each church that has offered to pick me up for church!
There were about 60 people in service.. more foreigners than Japanese people which was surprising. The service was in Japanese and English. It was a neat experience to worship God, with people singing in both languages simulaneously. Scripture verses and prayer were done in both languages and sermon was in Japanese with some English here and there. Pastor spoke on 'What is Heaven' and the outline was in Japanese and English. I liked this church a lot and plan on returning soon!
I learned about another church closer to me where several foreigners and missionaries attend. Next Sunday will visit that church, which is only 5 minutes from the train station!
One of my favorite perspectives as a Christian is the one about looking around and seeing where God is at work and join him - it is so true and so rewarding!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that you are visiting different churches and enjoying them. God is truly with you. PTL!
ReplyDeleteSorry, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. signed up with Google just so that I could post comments in your log. So glad to see that you are visiting different churches and enjoying them. PTL!
ReplyDelete