Lately I have been experiencing some rather intense culture shock. The honeymoon phase is wearing off and I believe I am now entering what is called 'stage 2' culture shock! Cultural differences and language barriers at school, the Japanese church I've been attending and just life in general have been sources of frustration. I'm finding that lots of patience and flexibility is needed to adapt to a different culture, lifestyle and language. The one thing that has continually sustained me while in Japan is Jesus Christ. I was at my lowest point since arriving in Japan and He showed up in a big way tonight. I've seen God move and work in different ways throughout my life, but tonight was something special.
I went to a church small group type meeting in Mito with another Jet. How she heard about this church and extended the invitation to me is a story in itself for another time. I didn't really know what to expect, but was curious and decided to try it out. We joined about 15 other AETs (Assistant English Teachers) for a pumpkin stew dinner made by one of the AETs. My friend and I were amazed that there were so many AETs in Ibaraki..not just ALTs through the Jet program. Their backgrounds were diverse ranging from hometowns and length of stay. Most were from the states, mainly Oklahoma, another from Belgium and another from Ethiopia. The length of stay ranged from arriving 6 months ago to 5 years ago. All are teaching in different types of schools in Mito.
We went to the sanctuary to watch a dvd and it felt like I was back at Calvary Church in Naperville for a moment. It was the largest sanctuary I've seen in Japan, with pews and screen up front. The Pastor was a younger Japanese man who studied at a christian university in Arkansas. We watched a DVD called The Fingerprints of God in Japan. Before I talk about the DVD (it was really interesting) here are some stats for background. There are less than 1% of Christians in Japan and majority of those that are Christians fall away after 3 years. I knew the statistics were not very high, but hearing it tonight made me really stop and realize that I am living in a country where the majority of the people do not know or have not heard about Jesus Christ and the gospel.
Ok, so more about the DVD. It showed different parts of Japan that had been researched to find evidence of Christianity. There was evidence found in shrines and other written works of an unknown, powerful God who was recognized as being the first. I cannot remember the name they gave Him, but it contains the kanji character for heaven. It was interesting to note similarities between Christian rituals and Japanese cultural traditions, for example elements of communion and tea ceremony. During a tea ceremony one enters the tea house through a narrow entrance way. Back in the day one had to leave everything including packs, swords etc outside the tea house and enter with nothing signifying humility. During tea ceremony you are served a sweet to eat before being served the tea. In communion you eat the bread first before the wine/juice. Also something interesting was that the tea ceremony is the only time where rank doesn't matter, again the come as you are mentality similar to communion. Pastor brought up another similarity of Japanese carrying portable shrines in festivals to carrying the Ark of Covenant. It was also interesting that some buddhist monks helped hide Christians during the time of the massacres. During this time Christians in Japan still tried to worship through secret ways. Crosses were hidden in pillars, engraved on the bottom of tea bowls and in the walls covered by Buddha. The DVD provoked a lot of good discussion and questions and sure made me think!
After the DVD and a short discussion prayer requests were taken and then a closing prayer, prayed in English! I almost about cried because this was the first time I had heard a prayer in English since being in Japan. It's funny what things we take for granted. Was able to talk with some of the AETs afterwards and found out that there are even more that come on Sundays for worship service. The service is mostly Japanese, but more English is being used. The AETs also meet for sunday school before service and I almost cried again hearing this.. Christian fellowship + English- exactly what I've been looking for! This was also a big answer to prayer b/c I had pretty much given up on my church hunt. While I am grateful to all the people that have helped me in my search for churches, it's definitely not as easy as searching in the states. There are so many other elements to work out in a foreign country, esp. where Christianity is not the main religion. I was quite overjoyed after hearing this good news and then was told that there is another church with lots of foreigners in a town 4 stops south from me, praise God!
So through my many experiences God is slowly defining my purpose here. While it may be different from what I first had in mind, I know that His plans are good. I was told by many people that Japan would be a life changing and growing experience and I'm beginning to experience the truth in those statements.
YAY!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!! i love this. and you! :)
ReplyDelete